Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Easy Nautical Cards


It’s no secret that I love the beach and the ocean, there is just something mysterious and magical about it.  Its beauty and its power are so inspiring to me.  Perhaps that is why I make so many beach scene and nautical cards.  I think they are perfect for just about every person and every occasion.

If you follow me on Pinterest, you also know that I love Crafter’s Companion products, so when they released a nautical collection earlier this year I jumped at the chance to buy it.  The collection has everything from dies to stamps to coordinating paper and much more!  Below are some of the cards that I have created using primarily elements from the Sara's Signature Nautical Collection by Crafter's Companion. 

I call this card Seahorse Through the Porthole.  Wouldn’t it be fun to be on a ship and look out your porthole and see this little guy floating by?  Oh my!  

To make this card I used a 5.5" square card base and one of the included embossing folders.  I inked up and embossed the folder in letterpress fashion then layered and matted it onto navy cardstock.  On top of the embossed panel I cut one of the layers of the porthole dies and cut the seahorse.  I foam mounted the porthole onto the background layer and cut the sea horse’s tail off to have him popping up into view.  I foam mounted his head but glued his lower half flat giving him a little movement.  To finish off the card I die cut one of the included seashells, two of the coral pieces and layered them beside the porthole.  For added movement I had some waste strips of cardstock from another project that needed to be trimmed down a hair and because the trim was so thin, the cardstock curled on its own from the friction of the paper trimmer and I felt the spiral curl was perfect to add texture to this card.  Something fun to think about before you throw away those scraps.  Finally, to finish this card I added some little bubble elements I found at a local store and a die cut sentiment.  I just love this card! 

This is another card that I made from the collection.  It came together quickly using some of the designer papers and a few of the stamps that are included in the collection.  I began with a 5"x7” card base in white and adhered a piece of the designer paper to cover the card front.  Then I cut two more pieces of the designer paper one at 3 3/4” square and the other at 3 1/2" and mounted them offset with the larger layer set on an angle.  I stamped the lighthouse, the tall ship and a couple of the sea gulls in flight and colored those with markers then fussy cut them.  I also stamped one of the sentiments in the bundle and added a die cut anchor, a piece of twine and this card was done.  I have had several comments from people who think this card looks like a store-bought card.  I take that as a compliment, but the collection should really get the credit.

Finally, I want to share this card with you

This card is made on a kraft card base that is 5"x7" layered with a background die cut of wood slats from another piece of kraft cardstock.  I inked both the die cut and the card base with a dark brown ink to enhance the distressing and to add interest.  Behind the wood slats I layered a piece of the designer paper in blue to bring a water vibe to the card.  On top of that layer is the porthole.  I cut two of the outer rings of the porthole set of dies and the inner window from gold cardstock alternating shiny and matte finishes.  Then I foam mounted the two inner levels of the porthole to a printed sunset image that I found on the Internet.  The image is free and has a public domain license.  Finally, I added the wood post, the seagull,  the sentiment, a few starfish embellishments and a couple more flying seagulls to complete the card.  I think this would be a great masculine card.

Thank you again for stopping by and spending some time with me today.

Dawn


Disclosure:

     All products used in my blog posts and videos are my own and purchased by me.  My blog posts, videos and opinions are not sponsored, and I am not paid by the product companies to create these posts and videos. The information provided in this video is my own personal endorsement and choice.


2 comments: