Wednesday, August 1, 2018

The Things We Find In Our Craft Spaces (and some craft organization photos)

For a long time, I have wanted to upgrade the many scrapbook cubes that I use for part of my craft studio and office storage, last week I decided that it was time.  My husband made a trip to Ikea for for me while I worked.  He brought home six sets of Alex Drawers and we spent Thursday and Friday after work assembling them, the first set of drawers took us roughly an hour between opening and un-boxing, sorting the pieces, (including the million pieces of hardware), reading the picture diagrams and of course the assembly time.  We got a little smarter with each time we repeated the process and by the time we got to the last set of drawers it took us about 25 minutes start to finish.  As big a chore as it was to assemble the drawers the real work of swapping out the drawers for the cubes was yet to come.

This was my old set up with the cubes.  The computer is for my full time job and some of the cubes to the left of the computer held things I needed for my job while the cubes to the right of the computer were all for crafting. 


This is how it looks with the new Ikea Alex Drawers:

It looks so much cleaner and neater now and I have gained so much more storage too. I was going to stack my 12"x12" papers inside the bottom drawers, but I had to relocate them to another place in my studio however, everything else I managed to put into the drawers and I still have empty drawers. It took about an hour to clear off the desktop and empty the cubes but many more hours putting things away. I had fun sorting through the things that I had.  I found things that I haven’t seen in years and even though I could see all the scrapbooking paper that I had in the open-faced cubes I never looked through them. I mostly make cards now and I just don’t turn to these papers when creating my cards because they are so lightweight, but I have some really gorgeous scrapbook papers! I found craft tools that I had forgotten even existed. I found some Sizzix punches that I bought so long ago I don’t even know the name of them anymore, but they look like spy glasses or little lollipops with shapes in the middle and you must use an included hammer to punch the shape out of the paper. I also found a Fiskars Shape Boss embossing board/tool that includes plastic sheets for laying under your paper on the board and a tool to trace the shapes to create your embossing. I had this tool long before embossing folders existed and I have no idea why I have kept it but honestly, some of the things that I came across should be in a crafter’s museum somewhere. LOL! Who remembers the Spellbinder Wizard?  

It was a long weekend of cleaning out, sorting through and organizing all the things that once lived in those well used cubes and I am sure I will spend many more hours moving things around some more making my new storage even more efficient to my crafting needs, but this crafter is very happy with all that she accomplished in this upgrade of her studio.  



Thank you for stopping by and until next time - Let Your Imagination Inspire Your Creativity!


Disclosure:

     All products used in my blog posts and videos are my own and purchased by me.  My blog posts, videos and opinions are not sponsored, and I am not paid by the product companies to create these posts and videos. The information provided in this video is my own personal endorsement and choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment