Friday, August 24, 2018

Create-a-Card Shaker Card



Isn’t this card gorgeous?  

If this die has a name, I don’t know of it, but it was included in a subscription box from Crafter’s Companion.  The subscription is exclusive to HSN and they are limited.  If you haven’t already signed up, I’m afraid that you have missed out unless Sara Davies decides to reopen the subscription again, but I wanted to share this card with you anyhow because there are many dies in which you could recreate this same look. 


This type of die is called a Create-a-Card die and they only cut the detail of the design into your card, box or whatever you choose to use it with.  They do not cut around the edge but in many cases you can fussy cut around the edge yourself if you want to make it a standalone die cut.  Dies like this dress up a project with so little effort. 

Here is how the card came together: 
I started with a piece of cardstock that was 6” x 12” and scored it at 6 inches.  I cut the detail into the center of the front of the card and then to create my mat layer for the front I traced around the outside of the die onto the piece of patterned paper and I cut that out with a craft knife.  For the inside I found a piece of coordinating orange paper from my stash of paper on the shelf and cut a similar mat layer for the inside of the cover of the card. 

To create the shaker packet, I cut two 4 ½” x 4 ½” layers of acetate from packaging that would normally be thrown away.  I lined the edge of one of the layers of acetate with foam tape on all four sides so there would be no gaps anywhere along the edge of the shaker pouch and then I filled the center of that with seed beads, sequins, and shaped glitter.  Next, I removed the release paper from the foam tape and carefully laid the other layer of acetate on top and pressed well making sure that I had a good seal all the way around. 

To finish the card, I sandwiched the shaker pouch between the inside of the card front and the orange mat layer to hide the foam tape and edges of the shaker pouch.  I also matted the inside of the card where the sentiment goes with a 6”x 6” piece of the same orange paper (though it looks darker in this image) and the leftover square cut from the patterned paper that I used on the front of the card and centered that behind my window.  I stamped and embossed the greeting on the front and matted that onto a layer of the same orange paper, added a bow and a few pearls and that’s it. 

A beautiful shaker card that looks like it was much harder to create than it was.  Thanks for visiting and I hope that you will give this project a try.

If you have any questions please leave them in the comments section below and if you have enjoyed this post, please let me know.  

Let your imagination inspire your creativity!
Dawn

Disclosure:
     All products used in my blog posts and videos are my own and purchased by me.  My blog posts, videos and opinions are not sponsored, and I am not paid by the product companies to create these posts and videos. The information provided in this video is my own personal endorsement and choice.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome thank you.I can't get my matting right.or I can't get the die right in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, I just placed the die in the middle and measured two of the sides at one inch which placed the die pretty close to center and then drew around the die for my cut lines. Hope that helps.

      Delete